Effective date: July 2015
Here are a few general principles to keep in mind as you read through this Policy:
- – We may share Personal Information about you among our corporate family of companies for their marketing purposes. We do not sell, trade or otherwise transfer to unaffiliated third parties, your Personal Information for their direct marketing purposes or otherwise. The term unaffiliated third parties does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or providing service to you. It is our practice to obligate all unaffiliated third parties to keep your Personal Information confidential and not to disclose it to anyone else.
- – Your California Privacy Rights: If you are a California resident, you may have the right to request and receive certain information about our disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. However, because it is our policy not to share your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for direct marketing purposes, we are exempt from having to meet this requirement.
- – As our business evolves, this Policy may change; so please check back to this page periodically to make sure you understand how your Personal Information will be treated.
Opt In and Opt Out
If you register on our Site or to participate in certain offline promotional activities, you may opt out of all use of your Personal Information described in this Policy, except for our use to administer your commercial transactions with us. Later on, you may change your communications preferences by visiting the communications preferences settings on the Site. You can also opt-out of promotional emails by clicking on the opt-out or unsubscribe link within the e-mail you receive. At your choice, your opt-out or unsubscribe may apply to all Thermo Fisher Scientific businesses or only to the Thermo Fisher Scientific brand or business line that sent you the email. Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt-out or unsubscribe request and that even if you opt-out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with our supplier relationship, recent purchasing activities, sales and servicing transactions.
What information is collected on this Site?
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you, and to identify the products you purchase, the Site content that most interests you and other personal preference information that allows us to deliver the most relevant business and product materials to you. Some of the Personal Information we collect includes, but is not limited to your name; company name; account numbers; postal addresses; e-mail addresses; telephone numbers; fax numbers; gender; credit card and other payment information; purchase, site browsing and transaction history; website credentials; answers to security questions; job history and application information; and industry segments, job roles and functions, interests, hobbies and demographic information. If applicable, we may also ask you to provide information regarding the analytical instrumentation used in your laboratory. Some examples of when we collect Personal Information from you include, but are not limited to, when you conduct a sales transaction on our Site; create an account on our Site; complete an online form, sign up for our newsletters; make online purchases; enter sweepstakes and contests; complete surveys; contribute to a chat room, bulletin board, list serve, blog, wiki or other social forum on the Site; or submit a comment or question to us using a contact us or similar feature on the Site.
Site Usage Information
As is the case with many websites, our servers automatically collect your IP address when you visit our Site, and we may associate that with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider. We may also capture certain “clickstream data” pertaining to your Site usage. Clickstream data includes, for example, information about your computer or device, Web browser and operating system and their settings, the referring page that linked you to the Site, the pages, content or ads you see or click on during your visit and when and for how long you do so, items you download, the next Web site you visit when you leave the Site, and any search terms you have entered on the Site or a referral site.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies on the Site to collect additional information about your Site visits. For example:
- – Local shared objects, such as “Flash cookies,” may be stored on your computer or device using a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, for example, click here.
- – HTML5 (the language some Web sites are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Site usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how our Site is being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
- – Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited our Website or another web site in the past.
- – Browser history sniffing may be used to enable us to detect whether you have visited a Web page of ours or of someone else’s in the past by determining whether its URL is located in the list of URLs stored in your Web browser’s history file.
- – Browser fingerprinting can enable us to recognize your computer or device as the same one that has been used to visit our Website in the past based on various detectable information from your computer or device that, together, can be used as a “fingerprint” of your computer or device.
- – A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image typically just one-pixel that can be placed on a Web page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our Web pages.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers or partners on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and relate your Site Usage Information to other information about you, including your Personal Information.
By using our Site, you consent to our use of these tracking technologies as described above.
How is your information used?
We or our service providers may use the information we collect from and about you to perform the following business functions:
- – enabling users to use our Site, its features and our services
- – processing and fulfilling your transactions, and providing you support
- – administering the Site and your account with us
- – communicating with you about your account and responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
- – market research
- – personalizing our Site and services for you
- – improving and developing new features and offerings on the Site
- – consistent with any communications preferences you have set on this Site, sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you. You may opt out of receiving such notices from us by following the instructions in the “Right to Opt In and Opt Out” section above.
- – protecting our rights and property
- – recovering debt and preventing fraud
- – customizing our Site to your interests and history with us
- – other purposes disclosed when Personal Information is submitted to us
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and Site Usage Information, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information. We or our service providers may also use your Personal Information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, the Site, our e-mails and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
Do we share Personal Information and Site Usage Information with others?
Yes. We may share the Personal Information we collect on the Site with others for a variety of reasons. In addition to the kinds of information sharing you might expect, such as sharing with third parties who need your Personal Information in order to provide services to us (or on our behalf and subject to confidentiality commitments) and sharing what you voluntarily post to public areas on the Site with other Site users, we may share your Personal Information:
- – among our corporate family of companies for their marketing and other purposes;
- – when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law;
- – with credit bureaus, such as late payments, missed payments, or other defaults on your account; and
- – in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business.
- – in addition, we may share non-personally identifiable Site Usage Information (including aggregate data) with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
Your Access Rights
You may review, update or modify certain of the Personal Information that is stored in your user account on the Site (if you have one) by logging in to your account on the Site or by contacting us using the Contact US information below. We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information.
While we endeavour to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Information collected via this Site, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
If you correspond with us by e-mail, text message, or using Web forms like a “contact us” feature on our Site, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure. A third party could view the information you send in transit by such means. We will have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
If you create an account on our Site, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and you shall be responsible for any activity that occurs using your account credentials, whether or not you authorized such activity Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavour to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use the U.S. Postal Service to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Linked-To” Web Sites
The Site may contain links, banners, widgets or advertisements that lead to other Web sites. We are not responsible for these other sites, and so their posted privacy policies (not this Policy) will govern the collection and use of your Personal Information on them. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each Web site visited after leaving the Site to learn about how your information is treated by others.
We may change this Policy from time to time. When we do, we will let you know by posting the changed Policy on this page with a new Last Updated date. In some cases (for example, if we significantly expand our use or sharing of your Personal Information), we may also tell you about changes by additional means, such as by sending an e-mail to the e-mail address we have on file for you. In some cases, we may request your consent to the changes.
- If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- 81 Wyman Street
- Waltham, MA U.S.A.
- Attention: Corporate Marketing